Last month, a new political party was formed by Tasmin Omond and others called “The Commons”. Tasmin Omond, was formerly active in Plane Stupid and is most recognised for scaling the Houses of Parliament and also her later climate change campaigning with Climate Rush. Now TMP under this editor does not endorse any political party and will be in the run up to the election getting representatives from many parties (but not all) to put their pitch to our readers. Justin from TMP asked her why did Tasmin set up the Commons and with her background why didn’t she join the Green Party? Her response is below:
I believe that democracy is about choice. At the beginning of this year, political leaflets came through my door, andÂ I was shocked at the message they contained –
‘Vote Labour, otherwise the Tories will get in’.
‘Vote Tory, because we can’t have another 4 years of Labour’
‘Vote Lib Dem because the others are rubbish’
‘Vote Green because…why not?’
None of the leaflets, and nothing I’ve heard in the run up to this election has made me feel like I’ve got a positive choice to make when it comes to the ballet box.
We’re not trying to split the vote. Labour, Lib Dem, Torys and Green can all fight over the 49% of the population that bother to go to the ballet box every election year. Our fight is to inspire the other 51%.
We want to give the people who never thought politics was relevant to them – to their struggles, to their life – something positive to vote for, a real choice. The division between left and right is false.
There’s a real division and thats what we’re trying to flag up. The division between people that do vote, and those that don’t. Our political system is not about giving people a choice. Its not about representing a voice. Instead, its when a party decides its identity and pushes policies on us from above.
The Commons is something different. Its about communities coming together, having all the information about the challenges we face, and moving forward together to a beautiful future.
The Multicultural Politic is Stephen Fry proof thanks to caching by WP Super Cache